Makes 6 servings
Yes, you can and should eat veggies for breakfast! I love adding nutty, chewy barley to my salads, so I figured, why not add some veggies to my barley? This light and refreshing vegan salad works just as well for lunch as it does for breakfast and is excellent to bring to a summer picnic or outdoor concert. The meat-eaters in your life might enjoy some roasted salmon or grilled chicken on top.
- 1 cup uncooked pearled barley, rinsed
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, packed
- ½ cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, packed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup carrot ribbons (from 2 carrots)
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- ½ cup roughly chopped pistachios
- ½ cup peas (frozen or fresh both work)
- Combine the barley, salt and 21/2 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the barley is tender. Transfer to a large serving bowl and set aside to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mint, parsley, oil, salt and pepper until the herbs are chopped. Stir herb mixture into the barley.
- Add the blackberries, carrot, radishes, pistachios and peas to the barley and gently toss. Serve immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for one day.