Makes 12 servings | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 18 min
There is nothing like gingerbread to fill your home with the scent of the holidays. Those warm fall spices could even get the Grinch into the holiday spirit!
These muffins are wonderful for breakfast when guests are visiting or for any time during the holidays. And there’s no need to feel guilty, because this recipe is made with whole wheat flour, and those delicious spices help fight inflammation in the body. So go ahead, put up your legs for just a minute during this hectic season, and enjoy a little holiday treat!
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 11/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled (be sure to let it cool or else it will cook your eggs!)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Spray liners with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl, combine whisk together the eggs, melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla and banana. Add half of the crystallized ginger to the mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine.
- Use a 1/3-cup measure to fill the muffin liners. Sprinkle some of the remaining chopped ginger on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are dry to the touch. Let cool and enjoy!