Makes 4 servings | Prep TIME: 10 minutes | COOK TIME: 10 minutes
I love the flavors of traditional huevos rancheros, but the restaurant-style ones are loaded with fat. This version uses Napa cabbage instead of iceberg for more nutrition and whole-grain wraps instead of tortillas.
The eggs in this delicious wrap provide about 30 percent of your daily choline for Baby’s healthy brain development, plus 21 g protein and 4 mg iron.
You get to indulge your spicy craving, while also getting more than 20 percent of the calcium and fiber you need for the day.
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 4 eggs (preferably omega-3-enhanced)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat wraps
- ½ cup organic Mexican-style shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a small pan, warm the beans over low heat, mashing lightly with a spatula. Keep the beans over low heat.
- Whisk the eggs together, and add the salt and pepper. In a separate frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the eggs and lower the heat to medium-low. M ove eggs around the pan with a heatproof spatula until scrambled, about 4 minutes.
- Cut the lime in half. Squeeze one half over the chopped avocado. Cut the other half into wedges for serving; set aside.
- In a heatproof container, microwave the salsa for about 40 seconds.
- Place the wraps—one at a time—on a plain paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Place the wrap on a large plate, and in the center, place ¼ of the beans, eggs, cheese, salsa, and remaining toppings. Fold in ends of wrap, and begin rolling in from one end. Serve with a wedge of lime.
- Calories 443; Fat 18 g (Sat 4 g, Mono 5 g, Poly 1 g); Cholesterol 225 mg; Protein 21 g; Carbohydrate 50 g; Sugars 9 g; Fiber 11 g; Iron 4 mg; Sodium 776 mg; Calcium 228 mg; Vitamin C 29 mg; Folate 47 mcg; Potassium 353 mg