Makes 5 servings
One the of quintessential flavors of summer is a cool, zesty bowl of gazpacho. I like including melon for a touch of sweetness and extra hydration. This vegan recipe is excellent on its own, but if you want to boost the protein, you can add sautéed shrimp, diced grilled chicken or chopped almonds.
- 1 pound yellow or orange tomatoes, preferably heirloom, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pound cucumbers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cubed golden honeydew or cantaloupe melon
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced (optional)
- crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- Reserve one quarter each of the diced tomatoes, bell pepper, and cucumbers for garnish; refrigerate.
- Using a blender (or immersion blender), pulse the remaining tomatoes, bell pepper, and cucumbers with the melon, onion, 1 teaspoon of the oil, the salt, black pepper, vinegar, and chili powder until soupy, but not entirely smooth. Add the tomato juice and blend again. Taste for seasoning and adjust, if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Ladle 1 cup of the chilled gazpacho into each of 5 bowls. Top each serving with a bit of the reserved vegetables and about 1 tablespoon of avocado. Serve with crusty bread and more olive oil for drizzling on top.