Makes one (5×9-inch loaf) or 10 muffins; 10 servings
Not only can you sip beer, you can cook and bake with it too. Here’s a delicious recipe from Eating in Color that is perfect for early spring. Don’t worry about serving it to your kids, nearly all of the alcohol will be gone after the baking process and with only 1/2 cup in the whole recipe, there’s very little per serving.
As far as which stout to use, I really like Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, as well as Southern Tier Brewing Company’s 2X Stout. And you can never go wrong with Guinness. You can bake this in a traditional loaf pan or use a muffin tin.
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (62g) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or chia seeds
- 1/2 cup (100g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125ml) stout
- 1/2 cup (125g) whole milk vanilla yogurt
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (54g) semisweet chocolate chips or 1/4 cup chocolate tahini
- cooking spray, for the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Combine the flours, salt, baking soda, flax, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Combine the stout, yogurt, egg, butter, and vanilla in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Combine well with a spatula.
- Spray a 9-by-5-inch (23-by-12.75-cm) loaf pan with cooking spray, then pour in the bread mixture. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 40 seconds; stir and microwave for another 20-30 seconds until fully melted. Drizzle the chocolate or chocolate tahini over the bread and using a butter knife, create a swirled pattern on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top of the loaf feels dry and a sharp knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes in the pan, then remove the loaf from the pan and slice.
- CALORIES 180
- FAT 5.5g
- sat 3.2g
- mono 1.0g
- poly 0.6g
- PROTEIN 4g
- CARBOHYDRATES 29g
- FIBER 2g
- CHOLESTEROL 26mg
- IRON 0.7mg
- SODIUM 201mg
- POTASSIUM 78mg
- CALCIUM 33mg