This delicious and versatile cake can be enjoyed on its own or topped with fresh berries. And if you have any left over, it makes an incredible French toast. I love the delicate flavor of Meyer lemons, but if you can’t find them, regular lemons work just as well.
1 stick unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pan
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
½ cup plain whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest
¼ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk of your choice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs with the yogurt and the lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in a large bowl; using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl down and add the sugar in two additions, beating until blended after each one. Add the yogurt mixture and mix. Add half of the flour mixture and mix again. Stir in the remaining flour mixture by hand.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Bake for 65 minutes, until lightly golden on top. Let cool in the pan.
- Remove cake from pan and place on a serving dish. Whisk together all of the glaze ingredients, then pour evenly over cake. Enjoy!