This delicious and versatile cake can be enjoyed on its own or topped with fresh berries. And if you have any left over, it makes an incredible French toast.
- 6 tablespoons (3⁄4 stick/85g) UNSALTED BUTTER, softened, plus more for the pan
- 1½ cups (180g) ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, plus more for the pan
- ½ teaspoon SALT
- ¼ teaspoon BAKING SODA
- 2 large EGGS
- ½ cup (115g) low-fat SOUR CREAM
- 1 teaspoon finely grated MEYER LEMON ZEST
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh MEYER LEMON JUICE (from 2 lemons)
- 1 cup (200g) SUGAR
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch (23 by 12.75cm) loaf pan. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs with the sour cream and the lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in a large bowl and, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl down and add the sugar in two additions, beating until blended after each one. Add the sour cream mixture and mix. Add half of the flour mixture and mix again. Stir in the remaining flour mixture by hand.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Bake for 65 minutes, until lightly golden on top. Let cool in the pan.