Makes 1 serving| Prep Time: 5 mins
The hot toddy has been around since it was invented in Scotland in the 1700s. This version is made with puerh, a fermented tea that boasts more antioxidants than green tea. It has a rich, earthy flavor. I sweeten mine with Manuka honey from New Zealand, which is higher in antibacterial compounds than regular honey. While I can’t promise that it will cure a cold, the warm tea will help break up mucous and the honey will soothe your throat. If you add in a splash of whiskey, that can numb throat pain and possibly put you in a slightly better mood, and we can all use that when we don’t feel well.
- 1 puerh tea bag, such as Numi
- 1 teaspoon juice and zest of a lemon
- 2 teaspoons Manuka honey, such as Comvita
- splash of whiskey, optional
- Place tea bag in mug. Pour boiling water into mug and brew to desired strength.
- Stir the lemon juice and honey into the tea. Add a splash of whiskey, if desired. Sip and feel better!