Makes 6 servings | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 27 mins
As summer winds down, it’s important to make each sun-kissed day matter. Soon we’ll be saying goodbye to longer days and a more carefree schedule, as well as all that amazing summer produce. I like to kind of overdose on all my favorites, so that I don’t miss them as much when they’re finally gone. Fresh local corn is one of those foods I can never get enough of. Right now it’s absolutely perfect — sweet, juicy and great right off the cob or used in recipes like this easy frittata. I like the added flavor of grilled corn, but you can also use boiled or steamed corn.
One small ear of corn is a slim 59 calories! Corn is a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin, two antioxidants that help to reduce the risk of macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in people 50 and older. The addition of basil to this frittata adds a wonderful fresh flavor, as well as additional antioxidants. Plus, one cup of basil has nearly as much iron as a cup of spinach. Load up on these summer staples while you can!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion (about ½ large onion)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded manchego cheese
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup grilled corn kernels (from approximately 1 and ¼ ears)
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof 10-12-inch pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 6 minutes, until translucent.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the cheese, milk, salt, ground red pepper, corn and basil and whisk again.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan with the onions. Cook for 6 minutes over medium-high heat until the edges are set.
- Transfer the sauté pan to the oven and cook for 15-18 minutes, until the top looks dry and the egg mixture is completely set. Carefully remove from oven, cut into 6 wedges and serve. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/franceslargemanroth.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/essential-grid/includes/external-sources.class.php on line 1109
Instagram reports: Please check the settings