Makes 6 servings | Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins
Winter is here, and with it come darker, colder mornings. I’ll be honest, I need a little extra motivation to get out of bed sometimes and you probably do too. This fiber-rich (thanks to the barley and pear) recipe makes mornings a bit more gentle because breakfast is already taken care of (granted–you’ll need to cook the barley in advance). What’s cool is that a little prep on the weekend means you’ll have a whole week of breakfasts ready to go! And that can help make any morning sunnier.
By the way, you can remix the cooked barley any way you like. I love topping it with a fried egg, some Parmesan, a little kimchee and a squeeze of sriracha. Delicious!
- 2 cups uncooked hulled (or pearled) barley, rinsed
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Comvita Manuka Honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 small pear, such as Forelle, or 1/4 of a large pear, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- Cook the barley: In a large saucepan, combine the barley with the salt and 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes, until tender but still chewy. Drain off any excess water.
- Once the barley is cooked, you may use it immediately, or let it cool and transfer it to a large airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- When you’re ready for your breakfast bowl, place 1 cup of the cooked barley in a microwave-safe bowl. Whisk the milk, cinnamon, honey, vanilla and raisins together in a small bowl and then pour over the barley. Microwave for 40 seconds. Arrange the pear slices and walnuts on top and enjoy!