Makes 3 servings| Prep Time: 30 mins
I love a good grain bowl. I usually just top my quinoa or brown rice with whatever I have in the fridge, but recently I’ve been putting more of an emphasis on including foods that boost gut health. Our guts are our top line of defense when it comes to immunity, so keeping them in top shape this time of year is smart.
You probably know that kimchi, fermented cabbage, is a great source of gut-friendly probiotics. But did you know that you need to feed those good bugs with prebiotic fiber to help them thrive? Good sources of prebiotics include bananas, onions, garlic, leeks, honey, pistachios, asparagus, artichokes, spinach, dandelion greens, wild blueberries, apples, kiwi, soybeans, chia and flax seeds, and whole wheat foods.
This bowl is great for boosting immunity and also for feeling better if you have a cold. It’s got the benefits of probiotics, prebiotics, fiber, protein, healthy fats and vitamin D. I like adding a fried egg on top, especially if I’ve been feeling run down. I find that this doesn’t need any sauce on top because the ingredients are so flavorful, but you can always add a squeeze of sriracha on top.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, such as crimini or shiitake
- 3/4 cup kimchi or other fermented vegetable
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 3 eggs (optional)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400°. Place sprouts in a baking dish, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to directions on package.
- Heat the ghee in a pan over medium-high heat. When melted, add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes, until golden.
- If topping with an egg, spray a small frying pan with cooking spray and heat over high heat. Add the egg and cook for 3-6 minutes, to desired degree of doneness.
- Place 1 cup of the cooked quinoa into a bowl. Top with 1/4 cup each of the Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and kimchi. Add 2 tablespoons of the pistachios and the cooked egg on top. Enjoy hot or at room temperature.