This recipe is an easy way to introduce this grain to the quinoa novice. The quinoa actually sinks to the bottom of the crust and you hardly know it’s there. And this is a great dish for vegetarians—just skip the sausage.
- 1 tablespoon grated PARMESAN
- 1 (9-inch/23cm) frozen whole-wheat PIE SHELL
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) 2% MILK
- ¼ teaspoon SALT
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground BLACK PEPPER
- ⅓ cup (31g) grated MANCHEGO
- ½ cup (70g) cooked QUINOA (see page 202)
- 1 link SWEET ITALIAN CHICKEN SAUSAGE, quartered and sliced crosswise into ¼-inch (6mm) pieces
- 1 cup (150g) CHERRY TOMATOES
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the bottom of the pie shell; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add the milk, salt, pepper, cheese, and quinoa and whisk again. Stir in the sausage. Pour the egg mixture into the pie shell. Add the cherry tomatoes to the tart, distributing them evenly, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the tart is set and the top is golden. Cut into 6 wedges and serve.