Makes 12 muffins
If you ever need to sell your home, whip up a batch of these muffins before the open house. The scent of all the warm fall spices creates a cozy atmosphere that’s worth almost as much as a good home stager. Plus, these muffins are amazingly moist, with absolutely no oil or butter, making them even more magical.
- COOKING SPRAY, for the liners
- 2 ripe BANANAS, mashed
- 1 cup canned PUMPKIN PURÉE
- 2 large EGGS, whisked
- ⅓ cup SUGAR
- ½ cup pure MAPLE SYRUP
- 2 cups WHITE WHOLE-WHEAT FLOUR (or half all-purpose flour and half whole-wheat flour)
- ¼ cup ground FLAXSEED or CHIA SEED
- ¼ cup WHEAT GERM
- 1 teaspoon BAKING POWDER
- 1 teaspoon BAKING SODA
- ½ teaspoon SALT
- ¼ teaspoon ground CARDAMOM
- ¼ teaspoon ground NUTMEG
- ¼ teaspoon ground CLOVES
- 1 teaspoon ground CINNAMON
- ¾ cup SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHUNKS (optional)
- ¼ cup shelled raw PUMPKIN SEEDS
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Spray the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bananas, pumpkin, eggs, sugar, and maple syrup.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Do not over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks, if using (silly not to!).
- Use a ⅓-cup measure to fill the muffin liners (you’ll have a bit of batter left over). Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds evenly over muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the tops feel dry when touched. Transfer the muffins to a baking rack to cool.
- CALORIES 238
- Fat 6g(Sat 2g, Mono 0.8g, Poly 1g)
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrates 42g
- Fiber 5g
- Cholesterol 3.1mg
- Iron 1.7mg
- Sodium 266mg
- Potassium 223mg
- Calcium 51mg