Makes 24 31/2-inch ponies or 48 1-inch squares
I’ve been wanting to make homemade cheddar crackers. You know, the kind your kids are addicted to. And I also wanted to make a treat to enjoy while watching the last episodes of one of our favorite shows, Parks and Recreation. So on a whim, I combined the two and made some Lil Sebastian Cheddar Ponies!
Here’s the recipe–let me know what you think! I think it satisfies, with plenty of cheddar goodness. Plus, I added some ground turmeric to boost the color and add some inflammation-fighting power to the crackers. Enjoy!
- 2 cups grated mild cheddar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture looks crumbly, 20-30 seconds. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture comes together. (You’ll add about 3-4 tablespoons.) Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in wax paper and chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out between two pieces of wax paper to ¼-inch thick. Cut ponies or other shapes out of the dough with cookie cutters. Or simply use a pizza wheel to cut squares out of the dough. Transfer shapes to a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet, about an inch apart. Bake 15 minutes for larger shapes and about 10-12 for small ones. Crackers should be golden, but not brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.