Makes 4 servings
It’s almost the Super Bowl, which is one of the biggest food days of the year. I’ll be totally honest, I don’t really watch the game, but I love all the fanfare and commercials. And I always love another reason to celebrate!
This year the kids are old enough to actually sit and (sort of) watch with us. I figured the only thing better than a multi-layer bean dip would be individual ones. This way we don’t have to worry about our guests getting grossed out when Leo inevitably double dips. Plus, this one is so easy to make, it comes together in just minutes. Double or triple the recipe depending on how many friends are coming over. And if you don’t have ramekins or dessert bowls, there’s no shame in making these in plastic cups!
Five Layer Mini Bean Dip
Note: If you want to make this vegan, just skip the creme fraiche layer.
- 1 avocado, pitted
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot–whatever you like)
- 1 scallion, chopped
- tortilla chips for serving
- Place the avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork. Add half of the lime zest and juice, plus half of the salt and pepper and combine.
- Place the black beans in a separate bowl and mash with a fork until about half of the beans are smashed. Add the remaining lime zest and juice, as well as the remaining salt and pepper; combine.
- Into 4 small dessert bowls or ramekins, place 1/4 cup of the black bean mixture. Layer 1/4 cup of the avocado mixture on top. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the creme fraiche, sour cream or yogurt on top of the avocado, then spoon 2 tablespoons salsa on top. Finish with 1 tablespoon chopped scallion. Serve with chips and have fun!