Makes 6 servings | Prep TIME: 5 minutes | COOK TIME: 33 minutes
The ultimate comfort food grows up a little in this healthy version. It’s still rich and cheesy, but it also gets extra calcium from the dried milk powder and the broccoli. The top gets nice and crunchy from the breadcrumbs.
More than 30 percent of your daily calcium needs—for Baby’s growing bones—wrapped up in cheesy goodness.
You get to indulge your comfort food craving without feeling the least bit guilty.
- 2 cups 1% organic milk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dried milk powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces organic shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 8 ounces whole-wheat macaroni, cooked
- ¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray an 11×7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the milk with the milk powder in a measuring cup or small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly for two minutes.
- Add the milk gradually, whisking after each addition. Cook for a total of 5 minutes until mixture thickens, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper to the warm milk mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until the cheese melts, about a minute. Stir in the broccoli and cooked macaroni. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs and Parmesan on top, and put in the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden on top. Let sit for 5 minutes before digging in.
- Calories 276; Fat 13 g (Sat 7 g, Mono 0 g, Poly 0 g); Cholesterol 41 mg; Protein 16 g; Carbohydrate 28 g; Sugars 6 g; Fiber 3 g; Iron 1 mg; Sodium 383 mg; Calcium 360 mg; Folate 37 mcg; Beta-Carotene 290 mcg